Jurassic Park Fan Art Design Contest

About The Contest

About the Contest:

We are pleased to announce that Hot Topic has partnered with For Fans By Fans to bring you the Jurassic Park Design Contest!

SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL 11:59PM PST ON 3/17/2018
RATINGS OPEN FROM 2/17/2018 UNTIL 11:59PM PST on 3/24/2018

About the Judges:

John “Jurassic” Park: Sr Graphic Designer for DTR Hot Topic, BoxLunch, and Her Universe. John was cloned from Holocene Era Dino DNA and raised on a steady diet of tacos and spicy tuna rolls. As a juvenile, he drew on any blank surface he could find, much to the annoyance of his handlers. With a BFA in Illustration from Art Center College of Design, he took his propensity for embellishment to designing graphics for Fashion. John’s natural habitat is at home on the couch with his Wife and their Corgi, Dakota.

Marisol Bradford: As Vice President, Product Design + Development Consumer Product at NBCUniversal, Marisol is responsible for product and design development, creative strategic planning and brand development across multiple product categories and consumer demographics.

Prior to joining NBCUniversal, Marisol worked for Polo Ralph Lauren, and then co-founded a high-end contemporary sportswear brand, RAW7.  Marisol joined Disney Consumer Products in 2008 as Global Creative Director creating assets for national and global licensing partners, developing upscale lifestyle direction for multiple key franchises from animation to film and collaborating with international brands including Adidas, Opening Ceremony and Burton Snowboards. 

Marisol received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Fashion Design from Otis Art Institute of Parsons School of Design. Marisol lives in Pasadena, California with her Astrophysicist husband and two mischievous daughters. 

Kristin Stark: Kristin Stark is Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications at Amblin Partners where she oversees worldwide marketing and publicity for films released under the Amblin Entertainment and DreamWorks Pictures banners.  Her favorite dinosaur is the T. rex.     

How To Enter

DOs & DON'Ts

1. DO: Make something original! Have fun and be creative. Research to make sure your design idea isn’t already out there.

2. DO: Make stylized art! Let your style shine through on your design.

3. DO: Celebrate the characters as they appear in the film. Keep Dinosaurs in their distinct looks inspired from the films. Keep characters in the costumes they wear in the films.

4. DO: Properly scale dinosaurs to one another and to humans. A velociraptor is not the same size as a T-Rex!

5. DON’T: Use any copyrighted, 3rd party or inappropriate materials.  This contest is to submit art designs to be officially licensed.  If it is obscene or mixes 3rd party, or copyrighted materials, it will NOT be approved.

6. DON’T: use the terms, “Beasts, Cute, Pet, Monstrous or Evil” and avoid goofy puns such as dino-mite, dino-mazing, egg-static, ect.

7. DON’T: Submit images or pictures from the films. Please create your own art!

8. DON’T: Create your own characters for the show. Only Characters in your own art style from within the films are allowed. 

“Jurassic Park” Brand Guidelines

Brand Overall

• If human characters are used please avoid the actor likeness - characters should be stylized. Keep characters in exactly their costumes as they appear in the films. 

• Dinosaurs cannot appear to be endorsing a product or holding product/co-branded with logos.

• “Jurassic Park” has broad appeal but should never verge on R rated material (over sexualized characters or push the limits of blood, gore and intensity).

Dinosaurs

• Dinosaurs should never be depicted or referred to as beasts or monsters and are never comedic.

• Dinosaurs are characters in their own right and must not be anthropomorphized, i.e., given non-dinosaur characteristics. They do not talk, wear clothes, or gesture like humans.

• “Jurassic Park” Dinosaurs must never be shown with generic or other dinosaurs that were not featured in the “Jurassic Park” film.

• All “Jurassic Park” dinosaurs were engineered female. When referring to “Jurassic Park” dinosaurs always use she/her pronouns.

• Avoid words like: beasts, cute, pet, monstrous, evil.

• “Jurassic Park” dinosaurs have a distinct look inspired by the film. Artwork should leverage that look even if based on scientific findings (such as feathers).

• Ensure dinosaurs are featured in scale to one another.

• Dinosaurs should not be posed so that they are intentionally eating various items.

Language/Tone

• Never use puns (e.g., dino-mite, dino-mazing, egg-static etc.).

• Editorial used on designs must derive from the “Jurassic Park” film.

FAQ

To see our full set of Contest FAQ, please click here.

To see the Official Rules, Please click here.

Q: The submission kit is not downloading.  I need help!
A: Please email [email protected].  We should be able to send you one directly.  Or try clicking here to see if it will directly download for you.

Q: What are the three "Additional Design Images" for?
A: One upload should be JUST the design itself so we can see it clearly. The other images, if you choose to upload them, can be other images of your design. Please remember that each design should be its OWN submission so don't use them to upload multiple designs.

Q: I'm having trouble uploading my images for my submission. What's going on?
A: Please make sure that each image is exactly 1000x1000px JPG, GIF or PNG and each image MUST be under 2MB.

Q: How many designs can I submit?
A: For most contests you can submit up to 10 designs unless otherwise stated.

Q: What file format do you accept?
A: All entries must be in one of the following file formats: GIF/PNG/JPG

Q: If I am a finalist, how large does my high-res art need to be?
A: We recommend that your file is done 15in by 19in at 300 dpi or as close to it as your art program can handle.  If your artwork is too small, it won't work on a tee-shirt and it can hurt your chances of winning.

Q: Is it ok for me to promote my designs to people I know to come and help rate my designs?
A: YES!! We encourage every artist submitting to the contest to promote themselves and their designs to friends, family and followers.  Through our experience we have found that more ratings help us determine what the fans really want as winners!  So please feel free to promote yourselves!

Q: It’s been more than 2 business days and I don't see my design on the site.  What’s going on with my design?
A: We review every submission we get before they are made live for viewing and rating.  We will make every attempt to review submissions within 2 business days.  Please know, if you’ve done any of the following we will not accept the design into the contest and you may not be notified.

- Your design has inappropriate materials or elements.
- Your design uses other copy righted material.  This means you are using other people’s intellectual property in your design you do not have the right to. No mash ups!
-You've used a design created by someone else as your own.
- It’s not a design. A direct photograph or a scribble you just drew on a piece of paper is not considered a shirt design.

Q: I see people cheating.  What should I do?
A: Please email [email protected] detailing what you are suspecting.  More details you can give the better we can make our decision.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE.  A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.  ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES RECEIVED.  MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN.

Jurassic Park Fan Art Design Contest (the “Contest Submission Period”) begins 02/17/2018 and ends 03/17/2018.  Must be age of majority[1] or older to enter who, at the time of Entry, are legal residents of and are physically located in the United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico.  One (1) Grand Prize winner will win a VIP trip for the winner and one (1) guest to the Universal Studios theme park in Hollywood, CA or Orlando, FL, (valued at $2,000) including airfare for two (2), transportation to and from hotel and the park, one night hotel accommodation, a $250 Hot Topic gift card, a signed “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” poster and $250 Visa gift card and no less than four (4) finalists will each win $300 and a “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” signed poster. Ten entries per account during the Contest Period.  Total ARV of all prizes is $3,200. If Grand Prize Winner does not choose which park to go to the destination will be as determined by the Sponsor based on the geographical location of winner. Void where prohibited. See Official Rules for additional eligibility restrictions and complete details.  Sponsored by Hot Topic, Inc. 18305 E. San Jose Ave, City Of Industry, CA, 91748 United States (“Sponsor”) and administered by MF, Inc., aka ForFansByFans.com (“Administrator”).

[1] The age of majority is 18 for all states except for: Alabama (19), Arkansas (18 or graduation from high school, whichever is later), Delaware (19), Mississippi (21), Nebraska (19), Nevada (18, or if still in high school at 18, 19 or graduation, whichever comes sooner), Ohio (18 or graduation from high school, whichever comes first), Tennessee (18 or graduation from high school, whichever is later), Utah (18 or graduation from high school, whichever is earlier), Wisconsin (18, or if still in high school at 18, 19 or graduation, whichever comes sooner), Puerto Rico (21).

SUBMIT YOUR DESIGN Submit up to 10 designs VIEW DESIGNS NOW VIEW WINNING DESIGNS 5 designs awarded DOWNLOAD
SUBMISSION KIT

Prize Info

Grand Prize(1): One (1) Grand Prize winner will win a VIP trip for the winner and one (1) guest to the Universal Studios theme park in Hollywood, CA or Orlando, FL, (valued at $2,000) including airfare for two (2), transportation to and from hotel and the park, one night hotel accommodation, a $250 Hot Topic gift card, $250 Visa gift card and a signed “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” poster.

Runners Up (4): Four (4) finalists will each win $300 and a signed “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” poster.